Thursday, April 06, 2006

Fields of Freedom

So, here I am at the premier of the movie Fields of Freedom, a short film about the battle of Gettysburg. Cool washington event with much glitterati. Jack Kemp is here handing his business card to Sen john Thune, who looks a bit bemused. Here comes Jack nown waddling down to the front row. (I'm sitting in my prime seat, front and centet, typing on my blackberry).

Had a great conversation with a couple of Civil War re-enactors who are providing color for the event. I asked one how he got into the "wonderful obsession.". He's about 28 and told a touching story about the moment his Dad allowed him to come into his private study where he had all his Civil War paraphrenalia. "Once I saw that, I was hooked," he said.

The movie was a very realistic portrayal of the actual battle, focusing on Pickett's Charge. I was a bit disappointed that there was very little historical perspective offered. But it was only a 1/2 hour movie and I guess they decided that showing the battle as it actually was would be the best "hook" for visitors to the battlefield, where the movie will be shown on an IMax screen. What does come through the movie loud and clear is the insanity of the battle. These Confederate soldiers marched directly into withering fire, both cannon and rifles. It was suicidal but they kept marching to the point where they almost broke through the Northern line. The portrayal of the "High water mark" was very compelling.

Other luminaries that were there were former Senator Don Nickles and Doreen Gentzler, local TV anchor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»