Monday, May 14, 2007

Les Miserables

I saw Les Miserables. I may be one of the last people to see the play. Don't have time for a full review. It's a spectacular work of art. Every word is sung and since I barely got there in time to take my seat, I didn't get a chance to read the plot digest, which would have helped. It's a little complex and confusing at the beginning.

The most powerful moment in the entire performance is when Jean sings "Bring Him Home" to a sleeping soldier. What a killer! I first heard this song at the Memorial Day Concert on the Capitol lawn by the guy to created the role on Broadway. It is a gut wrenching prayer asking God to ensure the safe return of the soldier. You couldn't help but think of soldiers currently in Iraq. While the actor was singing, you could hear sniffling all throughout the theater and many people daubing their eyes.

A great play.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is fantastic to see you blogging again, and thanks for the trip down memory lane. I visited many of the sites you are writing about in 1975. I haven't been back since, much to my dismay.

Keep blogging!!!!