Monday, June 16, 2008

Barack on Fatherhood

The man is amazing. He continues to impress and move me. His sermon on father's yesterday was remarkable.

Here's a passage I really liked:
I say this knowing that I have been an imperfect father – knowing that I have made mistakes and will continue to make more; wishing that I could be home for my girls and my wife more than I am right now. I say this knowing all of these things because even as we are imperfect, even as we face difficult circumstances, there are still certain lessons we must strive to live and learn as fathers – whether we are black or white; rich or poor; from the South Side or the wealthiest suburb.

What impresses me most about him is his humility. But I've struggled to identify that humility, because he's clearly got an ego and he knows how smart he is. But I think I've finally figured out the kind of humility that so impresses me, it's his moral humility. He's always acknowledging his own "imperfections." I believe that's genuine. He knows he's smarter than most people and he knows he is one of the great communicators of our time. But he doesn't believe that makes him a better human being.

Here's the whole speech:

2 comments:

Alana K-K said...

Dear Guy Noir,

Good morning! I hope the blogsphere's treating you well. *I am writing to gauge your interest in attending a weekend chock full of progressive faith bloggers.* Your experience blogging on Preferential Option would add greatly to an enriching exchange between peers.

The Progressive Faith Blog Con(ference) would be held the first weekend of August '08, organized by an ad-hoc committee of bloggers including including Expatriated Texan, CrossLeft, Institute for Progressive Christianity, jspot.org, and the RACBlog, among others. We are hoping to build off of the previous conference by putting together a weekend of workshops, networking, panels, and speakers in D.C.. BUT first we need to know that there is sufficient interest. Given the need for a powerful progressive faith voice during this election year, we hope you will be able to join us.

Please reply as soon as possible to let me know, on a scale of 1-5, your likelihood of attending: 1 (no way), 2 (unlikely), 3 (possible), 4 (probable), 5 (definite). Quick stats on the event- held in D.C., 1-2 days, weekend of August 1-3rd, low cost, possible travel subsidies.

Also, if you have any feedback or insights from the last PFBC, questions, additional bloggers to contact or suggestions, feel free to send those along as well. I can be contacted at akaufman@jewishjustice.org.

Thanks,

Alana Krivo-Kaufman
Jewish Funds For Justice
JFSJ, Intern
www.jspot.org

Guy Noir said...

Alana,

I actually live in DC and would be intrigued by the Progressive Faith Blog Conferrence. Depending on my work obligations, I would try to attend at least part of the conference. So, I'd put it at a 4.