Sunday, September 12, 2010

This Land is Your Land

Last night we had our annual block party on my street in Northwest Washington DC. We've been on this street for about 16 years now and it has a unique international character. We're kind of a ghetto for international finance organizations like the World Bank and the IMF. So, the food is always great, drawing from a variety of culinary traditions. There are also a multiplicity of foreign accents. I'd guess that about half the people at the block party were born in a foreign country. I met people from Germany, Denmark, Italy, Great Britain and one or two African countries.

The party goes on pretty late, but I generally bail out about 7:30 or 8:00 pm. But, I experienced a quintessentially American moment when, later in the evening as I was walking my dog, I could hear the sing along at the party just up the street. This group of foreign visitors to the U.S. was belting out Woody Guthrie's iconic tune, "This Land is Your Land..."

Only in America.




-- Post From My iPad

No comments: