Sunday, September 11, 2011

NJ Flag Factory - The Most Demagogic Campaign Stop Ever

Annin Flag Factory, Bloomfield, New Jersey
In 1988, when George H.W. Bush was running against Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis, Bush made a campaign issue out of Dukakis having vetoed a bill to require teachers to lead their classes in the saying the Pledge of Allegiance in the classroom. It was a courageous defense of the First Amendment, but Bush hammered away in what may have been the first of a continuous theme in Republican campaigns to portray the Democratic candidate as "unpatriotic." In 1992, it was the unpatriotic draft dodger.  In 2000, it was the unpatriotic tree hugger.  In 2004, it was the unpatriotic faux war hero.  And in 2008, it was the unpatriotic terrorist pal.

In the '88 campaign, the theme reached its demagogic apogee when Bush held a campaign event at a flag factory in New Jersey.

I was in North Jersey today for a wedding and, while searching for Starbucks this morning, I stumbled upon the famous flag factory, Annin Flags, "Flagmakers to the world since 1847." So, I thought I'd share a picture of the factory.

As it happens, I know the guy who suggested this event to Bush and consider him a very good friend. Since I'm sure he's deeply embarrassed by this event, I will not shame him by providing his name.

Sent from my iPad


-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: