Saturday, February 09, 2008

We're Doomed


The New York Times has a devastating front page expose' that is going to destroy Obama. It seems he exaggerated the extent of his cocaine use as a youth. In his book, Dreams From My Father," he claimed that he used drugs, including cocaine in his early 20's. The headline says it all:

Friends Say Drugs Played Only Bit Part for Obama

Highlighting a serious contradiction from what Obama says in his book, the article reveals,
"Mr. Obama’s account of his younger self and drugs, though, significantly differs from the recollections of others who do not recall his drug use."
Oh crap! It's over. Wait until Rush (someone who knows about lying about drug use) and Drudge get a hold of this.

On a more serious note, I have not read Obama's book, but I have to say this passage describing Obama's account of his involvement in a campaign to promote divestiture from South Africa takes my breath away:

In his book, Mr. Obama said that his role in the divestment push started as kind of a lark, “part of the radical pose my friends and I sought to maintain.”
The self-awareness required to admit this motive, and to reveal it to the world, is extraordinary in any human being. Most of us who get involved in "good causes" congratulate ourselves on how morally superior we are. We don't spend a lot of time examining our own motives, particularly when such examination might find our motives something less than pure. Now, consider that idea of a politician admitting as much. Yes, I know the book was written a long time ago. Still, this quote reflects an honesty and depth that is truly remarkable.

The more I learn about this man, the more fervantly I believe his - and our - time has come. He is the perfect antidote to Bush.

No comments: